View Single Post
Old 02-12-16, 09:48 PM   #582
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

@SDMCF
Do you know how many gallons the pool was? How many hours did you run yours? Very cool you have done this.
I would like the fish water to be at least 70 F right now it is around 63. I probably would not let it go over 82. But @70 I think the fish and plants would be happy.
I don't loose that much heat in my fish water each night so maybe I would not need to run it all the time.

@MEMPHIS92
I would have loved to save some money and had a bigger heat exchanger.
I have days I need to vent the greenhouse those BTU’s just get released into the air. I need to measure the temp at the top vent level. I just ordered a wireless sensor to tell me temp and humidity.
I hope that taking the air from the top above the barrels. Where the top vents are. Then blowing the fan through the heat exchanger into the second row of barrels that it will be a net gain. By using the heat I have better.
But I don’t know for sure the heat exchanger was $94 shipped with a lifetime warranty. I already have the fan and it was not being used. I already have temp controllers and the ½ 50’ SS coil.
So for under $100 it is worth a shot.

I really wonder how much heat the barrels get from direct sun versus greenhouse temp. I know the barrels really reduce the heat in the greenhouse. Measuring the temp @5’ I was getting over 100 easily on sunny days now at that height it stops at 90 most days.
Right now it is 42 outside and 60 in the greenhouse.

I am sure there diminishing returns at some point. I sure don't know where those are yet.

So many unknowns…. Most of the passive solar greenhouses I have seen data on are dirt farmers and don’t have to heat fish water.

Since this is all theory what do other think will this rob too much heat from my solar batteries?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-14-16 at 07:04 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote