View Single Post
Old 05-16-17, 09:51 AM   #4
stevehull
Steve Hull

I have literally placed thousands of wooden posts. Treated is essential, but know there are different treatment levels.

The key is to have drainage below the post. I like a minimum of a 30 inch hole with 6 inches of gravel at the base. This allows water to drain away from the wood post into the gravel. Extends post life about 100%.

Do not use concrete for wooden posts - it just traps water and promotes rotting.

But the most expensive line posts you can. Many of the cheap posts at big box stores only have a very superficial rot treatment. FAR better to pay twice that big box price and get a post that will last 20 years. Expect the big box posts to last only 5-7 years and then you do the job all over again. What is your time worth . . . .

Remember, the posts need to be all in registry and this is hard to do, so use a string 6 inches above the ground and set each post about 1 inch away.

I like to pack the bottom 10-12 inches with soil and then lit rain on it to compact that soil. Then, a couple weeks later, I add another 6 inches and wait a few weeks for that to compact. Then a final fill. Lazy man's way to do superb compaction around each post!

You simply cannot tamp a 24 inch hole column of dirt with a tamper and get deep compaction, no matter HOW strong you are! You will only compact the top 6-10 inches of soil around the post. Then the bottom soil is loose and the post wobbles - fills with water, rots and fails.

Good luck!

Steve
ps be careful with gas powered augers, especially in rocky soils or where roots are. One "got away" from me once and broke a couple ribs. Caveat emptor!

Last edited by stevehull; 05-17-17 at 08:50 PM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevehull For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (06-25-17), roflwaffle (05-20-17)