View Single Post
Old 01-08-15, 04:04 PM   #19
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
...Also, keep in mind that this camera is PASSIVE infrared. It does NOT have any infrared LEDs on the front of it or anything else. It simply senses infrared heat emitted from objects.
I was talking to a guy at a local geek meeting, who works for a company that develops Thermal Imaging equipment. I don't think it was Flir, because I would have remembered that name.

I told him about DIY infra red camera conversions, which involve removing the IR filter that covers the lens on most digital cameras. Seems that the IR filter is easier to remove on certain cameras.

I asked him if it was possible to make your own Thermal Imaging camera this way, because Flir and other Thermal imaging cameras are so darn expensive?

He corrected me, saying that Thermal Imaging is not the same thing as Infra Red, and Thermal Imaging takes place at a longer wave length than IR, and working with this longer wavelength is more difficult, and more expensive than working with IR, and that is why Thermal Imaging should not be confused with Infra Red imaging.

Have you learned something that is different??

-AC