View Single Post
Old 10-18-13, 09:15 AM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

"So with an idea of the general house design and thermal envelope, I have no idea what to expect as far as what it's going to take to heat/cool this."

ok, fine. I'll pull out my manual J and stare at the tiny numbers of your picture and try to figure out what numbers they are and do math based on the things you said about this place.

It seems for pretty much anywhere in Indiana your heating design day calc will be a single digit number that I can round down to 0. This isn't the coldest day but the temperature that you usually get down to(or close) for about the coldest 3-10 days of winter(technically 87.6 hours will be colder, on average, than design temp with the rest of the year warmer). I'll use 0 because its an even number. Do you have at least 3 days in an average winter that get this cold in the area this house is being built?

Do you know the U-values of your two non-french doors or am I factoring U0.11 for urethane or similar solid non-glass doors?
Also not sure what to factor for the north windows so I'll figure you'll buy ones that insulate better and will aim at U 0.20 since your priority isn't on SHGC on the north side unless you have something else in mind for a U-value.
Also factoring 8 foot ceilings

Last edited by MN Renovator; 10-18-13 at 09:24 AM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote