View Single Post
Old 08-09-12, 01:39 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
Well hopefully this fall I'll be putting a new roof on my house...
I put a metal roof on my house about fifteen years ago, and it is performing very well.

The metal roof adversely affected television and radio reception, but I found effective work-arounds (external antennas).

On my house, I used interlocking aluminum shingles, which use one aluminum nail per shingle and each shingle interlocks to the adjacent shingle on each of the four sides.

Because the shingles were so light, I was able to put them over my existing roof, which saved me tear-off & disposal expense. It was a breeze getting the aluminum shingles up onto the roof, because a square only weighed 32 pounds.

When I figured costs of comp (with tearoff & resheathing) vs. aluminum, the aluminum was only slightly more expensive... so I went with it.

Now that I have lived with it for 15 years, I wish I had gone with mill finish (no paint) because due to the aluminum surface, the heat gain would be lower.

I also have wanted to put up solar on my roof (HW & PV) but I have not found attachment systems that have a guarantee for aluminum shingles... bummer.

They say the aluminum roofs are good for 50 years, but there in a house across the street from me that has a new-looking roof that was put on shortly after WWII.

Also, if you have any notion of ever putting in solar tubes or sky lights, do it when you are roofing, as it is very difficult to get a good waterproof seal if you do it after the roof goes on.

Good luck on your new roof.

I'm sure you'll enjoy what ever kind you choose.

-AC