View Single Post
Old 09-16-08, 12:41 PM   #6
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks everyone!

trees, garden, etc..., is all in the plan. gotta save back up, though

the pickets cost $1.70 each, i think i used 4 or 5 pallets of 250. i don't want to think about the other costs (posts, 2x4's, gate hardware, nails, screws, concrete). I spread the cost/build over the course of 6 months. each paycheck i bought a little more.

my tools

i used to mow it with a push mower (took 6 hours total, split up over a couple days, including the front yard) until i got a hand-me-down riding mower............

i tried to time digging right after a good rain (or during).

I live in NE Arkansas, outside of Jonesboro.

this winter i'll be working on the area behind the back of the fence. lots of poison ivy, need to wait until it dies back. then I'll continue the sides about 15-20 feet back, either with more pickets or welded wire topped with barb wire. the very back property line is a drainage ditch with nothing but woods/fields behind it, so i'll think of something to close that off too. i'm thinking about laying gravel in that back area for ease of maintenance, but thats pretty far off. basically i'll use it for a compost heap, soda/beer can bins, scrap metal, spare auto part storage, etc.... basically all the stuff i dont want in the yard.

I'll probably only live here for about 2 more years, but everything i'm doing will help resale. I'm the only one in the neighborhood with the FULL backyard enclosed.

oh yeah, digging about 75, 2' deep holes by hand is EXCELLENT exercise!
Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote