View Single Post
Old 12-23-21, 01:27 PM   #29
mwmkravchenko
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyP View Post
Thanks for your input. It sounds like you have a system that works for you. I am curious about two things. How do you keep the slab from cracking? If you use deep footers, are they insulted?
I grew up in Manitoba Canada. The ground freezes solid there to 8 feet deep. If you do not have a basement you have a slap on grade. A floor on a raised bed of aggregate so that it will not stay wet. Properly done this is more than enough to support a house. You do have to use Re-bar. If it is a larger building you can thicken the edges of the slab. As was mentioned the slab has to be insulated from the Ground. When it gets that cold it is a good idea to insulate anyway!

Oh, and if you are wondering, this frozen ground thaws in the spring and you can dig like normal. It's not permafrost. Where I live now near Ottawa Ontario the maximum frost depth is 5 feet. Under snow cover it's more like 18 to 24 inches. Same goes for Manitoba you get 5 or 6 feet if you have good snow cover. Roads are where you will get maximum penetration. Or windswept areas.
mwmkravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:
WillyP (12-31-21)