Thread: 24X34 garage
View Single Post
Old 09-04-11, 12:42 AM   #6
The master plan
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Some more progress

Still working on it. Had a friend come over and lay the corner blocks and left his tools for me to use. I remember watching my grampa build a planter wall around the front of their house when I was a kid. I'm no mason by any means but it has been quite the project. I probably don't get the mileage out of the cement buy at less than $4 a bag on sale I'd rather use more than not enough.

This wall was the first and the worst. Seems the slab had a small hump in it and the middle of the wall will have a small hump, less than a 1/2 inch in the middle.

Never have enough bricks...

I finished three wall sections of 16 feet each. Large windows for letting light in. I also have 2 large double pane tempered glass (light tint) I'll use as skylights to let additional light in. I found them for free in a dumpster. Yes,I've been known to dumpster dive.

A poor man's cement mixer. Worked good for mixing mortar for the bricks.

I still hope to have the chipboard on and shingles before the first snow...alot ahead for one guy. Hope to get the walls raised this next weekend. I still have to pin the blocks to the slab and mortar in the J bolts,but the 2 row of block is basically done and ready for the walls.

Wondering if I should fill the cores with insulation beads. I plan on having 1" of pink foam on the outside of the block and 1/2" on the inside of the block in the garage.

Last edited by The master plan; 09-04-11 at 12:47 AM..
The master plan is offline   Reply With Quote