View Single Post
Old 07-28-16, 11:46 AM   #268
stevehull
Steve Hull

Here is the one BIG problem with propane - it is more dense than air . . .

In a leaky system (and they all leak sooner or later), if installed in a basement, propane will "spill out" over the floor and sit there. The vapor pressure is not huge so it will remain there for a long time (hours to days).

One spark in the vicinity (static, light switch, burner turning on) and it will explode.

I have absolutely no problem with propane in a car AC system as it will spill out (if there is a leak) into a non-enclosed space.

Years ago, a neighbor had a propane leak on his 250 gallon tank. It was located in his backyard and the downhill path of the propane "spill" was obvious. It then filled a small depression in his yard almost like an ethereal pond. It was like a mirage shimmering there and was quite obvious. He almost brought out a household "box" fan (open motor) to blow it away and I told him NO!

We called the fire department and - believe it or not - they use high pressure water sprays to disperse a standing propane "island" (that is what they call a propane spill). I asked them what they do in a house (with a basement) when this occurs and they laughed. "We don't get those calls - the home insurance company does as the home is often blown up".

If they can, they use a fan with an enclosed motor and they push air into the home (to disperse propane) and they never suck it out.

Natural gas (methane) does not have this higher density issue and that causes other problems.

Lastly, 100% propane cannot blow up - it needs to properly mix with air (oxygen) to do so. But even a poor mixture (too rich or too lean) can cause extreme and exciting effects.

I suspect AC agrees . . . .

Steve