Thread: metal roof?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-13, 06:33 AM   #1
stevehull
Steve Hull

Default metal roof?

Been away from the site for a bit as we have recently had a LOT of storm damage here in Oklahoma. Not directly hit, but softball sized hail (destroyed roofs), wind (falling trees knocked down livestock fences) and lots of debris in pastures.

I am some 35 miles NE of the true damage in Moore and Oklahoma City, so I must be thankful . . .

To my issue. The nearly new "three tab" shingle roof is trashed on both houses here. The roof "looks" OK, but the adjusters did not need to see my pictures of the hail. They saw enough damage evidence on the roofs and have totaled them. The hail crushed the shingles where it hit and in a few years they will start to disintegrate.

Now what to do . . . The cost of commercially replacing the roof with equivalent shingles is about $250/square (1 sq = 100 sq feet). The insurance company requires that the old shingles and underlayment be torn off to expose the roof decking. So this number for "tear off" is in that quote. I will not get that entire $ amount as there is depreciation and the deductible.

I can't just cash the check or the insurance company will later cancel my insurance. They will not insure house contents with an existing bad roof. And there are many hundreds of pock marks from the hail, so it is not a patch job either.

Replacement with a metal roof is very tempting. The use of thicker 26 G metal (as opposed to the thinner 29 G) is wise. And a metal roof gives me ~ a 25% discount on my annual insurance bill.

But the cost to do this is about double ($400/sq) that of a three tab ($250/sq). Here is the question. Metal material cost (panels, screws, trim, etc.) is about $160-$180/sq and I can put the metal roof on top of the single layer of damaged shingles (no tear off needed).

How hard is it to put up an "R panel" type metal roof? I have read the internet sites, but am wondering if any on the site have tackled this? I have not.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 06-02-13 at 06:36 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote