View Single Post
Old 03-31-09, 11:40 PM   #8
metroschultz
nail bender

Send a message via AIM to metroschultz

Here on the ocean front the HVAC companies are starting to sell Geo Thermal systems that are really pump and dump units.
They drill your back yard to around 150 foot and pump the water to a storage tank that is used to pre-cool or pre-heat your HVAC unit.
Ground water here flows out at around 55 degrees year round so this works really well in the summer and reasonably well in the winter. (We seldom see below 50 degree days and below 30 degree nights.)
Unbelievably expensive
Starting at $20,000 for the simplest of units.
There are , however, quite a few of them in my neighborhood. (The developer had a deal with the HVAC installers and the prices were financed into the original purchase price)
I have often wondered how hard it would be to make something like that on my own.
I would just bury some 55 gallon plastic drums in the yard about 50 foot down and use that as my storage facility, (removes them from the house and reduces the need for insulation) then move the water to the furnace as necessary.
So that being said, I am very interested in your project and will keep watching for stuff I think I might be able to implement.
S.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
metroschultz is offline   Reply With Quote