View Single Post
Old 03-31-17, 09:37 PM   #28
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I am going to redo the headliner I bought 2 cans 3M Super Trim Adhesive.
I ordered headliner material from Joann fabric they canceled my ordered twice. So I called them and NC had some so they did a store to store transfer. I used a 50% off coupon so 3 yards was $23. This is enough to do headliner and visors.
Double check your favorite forums, but I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 adhesive on my headliner material in the 2004 wagon when I redid it. Two plus years later, it's still hanging tough in the heat and humidity of South Florida (wish I could say as much for the OEM clear coat on the outside). I spent quite some time reading my favorite VW forums before I went with the 3M 90.

I used the JoAnn's headliner material, in the black color, along with a 20% or 50% or some crazy off coupon that saved me $$$ that I used toward adhesive cans at the big box hardware store. I found the crumbly old foam backing from the original headliner was soluble to an extent with acetone. It took numerous rags to remove the old material. Once I had most of the old backing goo removed, I sanded the headliner board with some 120 or 220 grit to give the new adhesive something to bite into. Depending on the area you need to cover with material, consider having a spare can of adhesive on hand. I had to run out and pickup a third can, but I was covering the headliner for a wagon, not a sedan.

Best of luck with that project. I picked a sunny day, set up some saw horses in the front yard in the shade, and finished before sunset.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (04-08-17), pinballlooking (04-08-17)