Thread: Cold corners
View Single Post
Old 12-27-13, 02:35 PM   #7
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I think that standard construction has tended to ignore cold corner problems, because corners are often stacked 2x4 which have an R-value of about 1 per inch. So you end up with a large area that has a low R-value, and insulation can't reach it.

But you should still try to reduce infiltration as much as possible, inside & outside. Foam from a can is a good way to go. You might be in a bit of a quandary at this time of year, because the temperature is so low, that the foam might not expand to it's full potential.

As a side note, I'm in the process of remodeling and insulating my back room, and when I removed inside window trim, I found torn bits of clothing that desperately cold people had jammed into the cracks and gaps around the window over 100 years ago.

Our quest for warmth is an ancient one.

-AC
My brother's house here in town was stuffed with old newspapers. I guess an old school method of cellulose.

I ended up pulling the trim and shooting in a bunch of caulk. There really was almost no space in there for any foam.

The plan is to start with blowing in cellulose whenever i can get my helper to come around.

Horrible how these old homes were not insulated. Can't imagine the amount of wasted energy in this area (lots of homes the same age as mine--late 50s).
warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote