View Single Post
Old 10-31-13, 10:45 AM   #524
CudaNet
Lurking Renovator

Very true... I'll be honest, it hadn't actually crossed my mind to stop at an auto parts store. It might have been all the bad luck of dealing with them in the past that gave me a mental (don't do it) block.

It worked out well though, It started to rain about an hour after I moved all the tools to the garage. Rain didn't stop until last night. It's going to be a great day today - 70 for a high and sunny. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to work on it again until Saturday (again, a perfect weather day)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
CudaNet,

You could have gotten what you need at your favorite local auto parts store. The 1/4" stuff is R12 flavor. They sell a kit with o-rings, caps, a valve core tool, and fittings to convert to r134a size hoses for under $10. Most of the new gauges there are 1/2" acme with quick disconnect to fit newer r134a cars. But they still have all the fittings and such for the older cars.

If you are using a presto quick vacuum adapter, they may or may not have an old school one in stock. But they can get it tomorrow, like usual. I don't own one because I have had bad luck fiddling with schrader valves. The only time I remove them is when brazing connections. Other than that, I can wait an extra fifteen minutes for the lines to purge or vacuum out. If it don't leak, I'm not trying to make it leak.
CudaNet is offline   Reply With Quote