View Single Post
Old 12-24-12, 06:37 AM   #10
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I don't know what your heat source is but if it is a non condensing boiler, a mixing valve is necessary. They don't like low water temps. Your best bet is to get a Tekmar 256 outdoor reset boiler control (or pump control) which will vary the boiler output temp based on outdoor temp. You need to pick one temp to monitor, supply or return (supply is better, IMHO) and the control will do the rest. This would be for a traditional boiler as most condensing boilers have this feature built in.

If you are working off a water heater, which you run at 130F, the control can run a mixing valve or injection system to give you the desired water temp.

I am a fan of thermal mass (I have installed over 1,000,000 ft of tubing over the years) while others in the biz like the aluminum plates. To me, a 6-8" slab is the best way to hold the heat and is so resilient as far as water temps (within reason) that the comfort is always great. You can experiment with water temps better than with an aluminum plate floor. Others may disagree but this has been my experience.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote