View Single Post
Old 12-18-12, 04:13 PM   #14
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
I'm looking for a DIY idea to rehabilitate the dead lithium batteries. It can be done with other types and I just had 2 of my Makita batteries croak on me and they were not old.
PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO REVIVE A "DEAD" LITHIUM CELL!!!

Just send it back for warranty service (if new-ish) or try to get the manufacturer to replace or repair it for a discount (if out of warranty).

Unlike conventional compact batteries, lithium cells are inherently a fire hazard waiting to happen! If you overcharge them, they overheat. If they overheat, they go BOOM! They are much more volatile than their nickel-based counterparts. Computer and cell phone manufacturers have recalled over 50 MILLION lithium-ion batteries due to risk of fire and explosion. FWIW, manufacturers don't recall products for maybe something might happen risk, they recall products because they were sued when it did happen... you've seen fight club, havent you?

For those of you who are occasional power tool users, stick to nickel-based as long as you can. You can get replacement cells through batteries plus or other refurbishers. Lithium cells last longer if you use them regularly because when they completely discharge they short out and cannot be recharged. If left half full, most will last 6 months until they self-discharge. Some of the newest designs will last up to a year left in their box, after that it's new battery time.

If you use them regularly, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Lithium cells hate being hot. If you're talking on your cell phone and it starts getting warmer than your ear, plug it into a power source. If you're using a cordless tool and you can feel the battery heating up, change batteries. People have been injured from talking on their phone too long.

2. Lithium powered tools don't run down slowly like a nickel-based tool before they give out, they just suddenly stop. When this happens, don't try to milk any more charge out of the battery. It's done, swap batteries. The manufacturers have installed circuitry into the batteries to try to make them live longer and work safely. Disregarding the built-in protection circuit will certainly shorten your battery life.

Last edited by jeff5may; 12-18-12 at 04:16 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote