View Single Post
Old 11-05-09, 12:14 PM   #8
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

I remember the time when there was a deposit for beer bottles, and how people would collect them. I once saw guys with wheelbarrows collecting beer bottles after a concert. But in the mid '90's new beers showed up without deposits for the bottle, because they either weren't brown, or they weren't 500ml (brown 500ml was the only kind used by domestic breweries, and the bottle factories weren't geared for making other types, so green glass wouldn't even get recycled). Then came aluminum cans, and recently plastic bottles. It's been years since I last heard of bottle deposits here

The closest thing is collecting aluminum cans and selling them at the local scrapmetal yard, for the equivalant of US$1 for 1.5kg. There's about 40-60 cans per kg. A nickel per bottle is a much better investment. When I take the dog to the woods every morning, or when I walk the Wife to the train station, I notice discarded beer cans everywhere. Just as a test, I decided to start collecting them. I'm checking how much beer people drink on their way home from the store on the corner, and clean the woods at the same time. After 1 month I've got over 100 cans. I'm not even trying. Sad.

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 11-05-09 at 12:37 PM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote