Thread: metal roof?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-13, 09:53 PM   #20
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Master Tech View Post
I would love for others to chime in with measurable results/research comparing the total cost of ownership, installation ease, and environmental impacts of well-made Energy Star asphalt shingles and other roof types. I am very interested in the Decra metal tiles where2 installed-they sound great! Where2, how much was your roof installed per square?
I can't really say how much it was in 2004 dollars on a per square basis. The tear off, and disposal of the existing concrete tile was included in the price, along with a tear off of a hot tar flat roofed garage that received roll roofing. I have an odd 1960's two story house that required much more time spent fabricating custom flashing than your ordinary ranch style house or house with a hip roof. By 2004, the building code, in my hurricane prone area, had progressed to requiring N&TT every ~4" along the edges, and ~6" in the field on the underlayment. I expect that drives up the labor cost to about double most areas of the country on just installing the underlayment. In my case, living within 2 miles of the atlantic ocean, there are an average of five screws per panel. I'm sure you could get by with less, when you're not in a 150mph wind zone.

If you want to figure it yourself: Each panel covers 14-1/2"x50", each panel currently costs $17 (in 2013 dollars). In addition to the panels, there are round ridge pieces at $7 each for all the peaks, and gable edges. You'll also need a bunch of 2x2 lumber (battens). The 50" dimension of each panel sits on a 2x2 batten which is nailed to the roof deck. The panels are attached to the battens with a #9x1-1/2" galvanized roofing screw (500 screws = $33).

I have successfully tested a prototype CPVC thermal collector under my "arctic blue" decra tile. The 10 sq ft prototype collector was providing +1°F for every circulation pass the water made. My tile panels run ~140°F on a sunny summer day at 26.5°N. At some point, I'll make a copper thermal collector prototype, because I think the delta T would be better with a more conductive metal pipe, rather than CPVC.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote