View Single Post
Old 11-23-18, 05:06 PM   #237
Sccoupe
Helper EcoRenovator

Yes, the pipes were 5 foot lengths. The rig was about twice as tall and left about a foot to play with after subtracting for the pulley at the top, mounting, hydraulic motor, universal joint and water swivel. The job was a whole mess of manual labor. I woke up the day after the drilling ended and felt like a free man!
For grouting, limestone dust was dropped in while shaking the pipes until the hole was full. Not ideal but its working well. This will likely settle over time and leave a gap at the top, but it will compact at the bottom giving better heat transfer at the lower depth. I went back and forth on using sand or limestone dust after realizing that pumping in a grout wasn't going to work for me. Since the heat transfer is better with limestone, I went with it. On top of that, I think most of the whole will stay wet year round.
Using two different heat pumps for different parts of the house. The first is a 1 ton PTAC, Tranquility 16. It was a new, old stock from a hotel job in Jersey(ebay). The main unit is a two stage, 3 ton Heat Controller with desuperheater from surpluscityliquidators.com.
Sccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote