View Single Post
Old 12-19-15, 09:50 AM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

I just run the MPPT charge controller and grid tie inverter together.
If the batteries in the camper sit idle then the solar panels and charge controller form the worlds most expensive battery maintainer.
I hooked the grid tie into the solar panels circuit.
The cool thing about the MPPT charger is it will soak up almost all the power and put it into the batteries when the battery needs power. While the battery is charging the grid tie puts out about 5 watts. Then once the battery's MPPT charge controller tops up the battery and goes into stand by mode it draws very little power, as that happens the grid tie output ramps up. No need to get your self another expensive MPPT charge controller with load dump.
Its almost as if I carefully selected components to do this, but in reality I just recombined old junk that was collecting dust into a new configuration for most of the build.
I also didn't just haphazardly throw all this stuff together. I do have an associates in applied sciences for wind and solar power generation, what I studied didn't exactly cover this application but, as I put it together I had a pretty good idea it was going to do exactly what I wanted. So when it worked, it really wasn't a big surprise.

I think what you have is just going to be a larger version of what I have.
Really the only major component you need to pick up is a 12 to 28 or 14 to 28 volt grid tie inverter.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote