View Single Post
Old 08-09-15, 06:45 AM   #8
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Some quick tips:

For the windows you don't look out of, fab up a filler panel of polyiso rboard and/or EPs as thick as you can. For windows you do, fab up storm windows out of lexan as thick as you feel like affordable.

In all those outboard storage compartments, line the back walls with eps or rboard. The contents of the compartments will act as thermal mass and help keep the interior regulated better. Spray paint or contact paper may keep the significant other happy.

For the btu rating of your rooftop unit, the model number should tell you. If not, the compressor label and model number will. These units can be morphed into a heat pump and performance is not too shabby for the size, the units themselves use the same major components whether they are built as a heat pump or not.

For the lights and fridge and water heater, a small solar array will power them all no problem. For the heating and cooling, not cost effective for your demands. A small dehumidifier hacked into a water to water unit could leverage your solar power source to move more heat between the fridge and water heater. The water loop could be rigged to provide minimal heating and cooling as a byproduct of the high or low temperatures demanded by the fire and ice boxes.

I hope that I have spurred your imagination sufficiently, if not, I'm sure there are many more ideas to ponder.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote