View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 01:13 PM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Really tight houses have dryers, range hoods and bath fans also and the way the designers deal with the depressurization issue is to assume that in moments of depressurization more air will be drawn through the HRV. As far as I know there have been no studies on this.
I think that the developments in this area are moving really fast right now.

I suspect that ten years down the road, looking back to how we think about these issues today, our current thinking will seem pretty primitive...

The dryer part seems pretty straight forward. I think it should be put in it's own closet, with outside air coming in.

The range hood problem really has me going right now...

The best (and I don't think it is very good) solution I've heard from a local Passive House builder is to use a recirculating range hood that 'condenses' grease vapor in a screen, and use the HRV input in the kitchen to extract the higher humidity kitchen air. Boost switch in the kitchen & bathroom.

I'm not a big fried food guy, but I really doubt that the screen thingie will do a very good job of capturing grease and oil vapor. So then the vapor gets deposited in the HRV and walls and cieling.

I have a friend who has put a 'modern' extractor hood over his cook top. The hood think looks like a hovering glass flying saucer with a stainless stack attached. It relies on HUGE volume of air to capture cooking smoke that really wants to go up past the flying saucer. His house is very small (< 600 sq. ft.) and extremely tight, so his hood will not develope HUGE volume without replacement air. His options are:
  • Open a window (a total cop out)
  • Plumb in a power replacement air fan system under the cooking counter (lots of work to do that)
Personally, I think he has become a slave to style and would be better off with an extractor hood that works with physics rather than against physics, and therefore did not rely on HUGE volume to work.

But there's still the HRV part...

He has a tiny Panasonic ERV that runs about 30 CFM and will be totally overwhelmed by his extractor hood.

I'm still looking for a better solution.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 12-27-11 at 01:15 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote