View Single Post
Old 12-18-11, 01:48 AM   #1033
launboy
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I just remembered there's a guy who live a fe houses down from me that doe HVAC for a living. I know he'd have the tools and knowledge. Never really talked to him though. This could be a valuable resource in my projects, especially if he happens to find what I'm doing interesting.

"I think series would be better if I did this..." I wrote that wrong, I was thinking parallel would actually be better, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you all think, and what's the reasoning behind it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
The fins aren't as useful in water as in air, since water is so much better at heat transfer. If you're going to use this for a hot tub, you will have dissimilar metals together and the boron stuff that gets put in hot tub water will probably accelerate galvanic deterioration.
Water is definitely better at transfering heat, but enough so that the same amount of coil pipe without fins in water equals the coil with fins in air? Also what are you refering to with the boron stuff? Some people use Bromine in their tubs for sanitation as an alternative to Chlorine, or Borax for PH adjustment. Those are the only two similar sounding things I can think of to boron. Personally I use chlorine(unscented bleach) for sanitation, some CYA(cyanuric acid that makes chlorine last longer) and very rarely Muriatic acid to bring the PH down if it goes above 7.8.

Quote:
You might be on to something here.
I think so! Although the Dehu frost sensor probably goes by temp and the air temps ill be running in may be below its frost threshold(around 32* I'd guess).

Quote:
BTW, seek out the forums where people have built refrigeration devices to chill computer CPUs... Gobs of great hardcore DIY info there.
Great idea! I'm sure many of them have run into the same problems as me with equipment and lack of knowledge. It'll be interesting to see how they overcame them.

Adam
launboy is offline   Reply With Quote