View Single Post
Old 04-20-14, 01:52 AM   #13
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I think it is generally human nature to take advantages that one has over others and take it as their god given right. For instance net metering is seen by most as their god given right, at least in the USA. On the surface it would seem only fair. However, like Steve Hull said, it does not take into account that the grid serves as a battery to the consumer when net metering is in effect. The sun does not shine at night and in most states PV does not generate enough electricity to serve a homes electrical needs in winter. These are just facts.

To make up for those facts one would need an enormous superlative battery backup system for ones house. I'm not talking about a battery system just to cover nightfall. I'm talking a battery system that in many locations, even here in California during rainy winter periods, that is sufficient to last two weeks of draw down and with little recharging. Again, just facts for most if not all locations in the USA.

This is not even accounting for the fact that with net metering you are having the shortfall from the winter months being completely counterbalanced by any surplus in spring, summer, and fall. This shortfall that on average is "months" long would take an even bigger equivalent home battery system to make up for.

Long story short: current net metering customers will pay a fortune in battery backup to get the same equivalent backup.It could easily cost $25,000 on the low end and $50,000 on the high end for current battery technology equivalent to net metering. And what is more, utilities do not have battery backup so you on net metering are getting a better deal than the utilities themselves are. I think what is really going on is you've been making out like thieves in regard to this fact and have simply taken it for granted. Now that there is some pushback it is being taken as an affront. It is always wise to simply step back when viewing a painting to get the totality of what is going on.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote