View Single Post
Old 06-07-16, 06:23 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

I found that there are ways to modify the 120v L1 charger, such that it will use 240v. Some plans are easily reversible, some are not. Some require you to send in your old unit, and "professionals" do the work. The result is a 240v 12A charger that charges faster. If you DIY, it is not so expensive, but if you hire it out, it gets more expensive.

Here are some schemes:

(3.0)CONVERTING A LEAF LEVEL 1 (12AMP) CHARGER TO A LEVEL 2 (12AMP) CHARGER

EVSE Upgrade - Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions

Project to modify '13 Volt portable charger to do L1/L2 using Open EVSE components

I decided not to go this route, rather to buy or make my own L2 charger.`The factors in my decision were that it is very handy to have a L1 charger in the car, but even more convincing, I live in Oregon, where it rains a lot in the winter, I have no garage, and my charging will be done in the rain.

I searched for used L2 chargers and found some on Craigslist at a reasonable price. I also looked into Open Source chargers. I have more confidence in Open Source chargers because they use no proprietary parts, and the software is also open source, so the thousands of geek users will pour over the code, looking for existing flaws, and also improvements.

The price of a used proprietary charger and a complete open source kit were about the same.

There were two options I found, Juice Box, and Open EVSE.

A fellow EcoRenovator gave me a Juice Box, original model, that had failed after exhibiting signs that it might burn down his garage (sparks, smoke, flame, etc).

I rebuilt it, found an error in wiring, and still have it ready for charging cables.

I also looked over the Open EVSE, and decided to order and build that kit. It was $224 + $140 for the kit & cables. Everything about it looked live a very well thought out design, especially compared to the Juice Box. In fairness, the Juice Box was an older design (and may be updated by now), so Open EVSE had it's example to improve upon. Improve they did.

Both companies have easily available documentation, and builders forums that were very helpful. Also, there are extensive YouTube videos available. for both brands.

Open EVSE is designed such that sub-assemblies are soldered & tested, and the buyer is not required to do any soldering in the course of a complete kit build.

I had the Open EVSE 90% built, when I started thinking about where would I put the finished unit. A garage would be perfect, but I have no garage.

Worse, there are meth-crazed thieves who have stolen metal stuff to sell by the pound, to feed their habit.

So I thought that a weather resistant box bolted to the side of my house would be good, secure, and hopefully not an obvious target for thieves.

I found a large used electric panel box at a salvage store and for $15 I brought it home. It was full of the stuff I didn't want so I did a stuff-ectomy on it and the parts for the charger fit very nicely inside.

I tried everything out for fit...

So I bolted it to the side of my house, being very careful to leave the original dirt intact. I used regulation electrical fittings.

It is done! Handy & Secure.

Best,

-AC_Hacker

Attached Images

DEnd (07-11-16), MetroMPG (07-21-16)