View Single Post
Old 08-05-09, 08:51 AM   #11
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalass View Post
I thought excessive use of swap would kill a spinning hard drive, due to the extra use it gets wears out things and all that. Whereas a SSD has no moving parts, and electrons don't wear out when they're shuffled around a few extra times.

I want to get a 7" EEE PC for my car. A double-din head unit slot in a car is just about the same size as the screen on that little netbook. And a usb touchscreen kit costs about $60. The efficiency of the eee is also important as the car will be an EV.
In fact the problem of flash disk (SSD, USB keys...) is that each memory block can be written a fixed number of times. This is why flash disks are using specific file systems that are trying to keep as low as possible the number of write on each block and that are marking as unusable the blocks that have been written too many times.

To save energy with a spinning disk you can stop it, but if the spinning hard disks have "unlimited" writes, they have limited start-up and are fragile when they receive shocks while spinning.

Denis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote