View Single Post
Old 06-03-11, 08:44 AM   #6
vmike
Lurking Renovator

I tried the absorption chiller experiments in the late 70s. The panels I was using at the time would only give me 250 degrees of temp on a good sun day. No where near what the gas flame put into the regenerator. I put a circulation pump in the ammonia refrigeration circuit, which made the chiller actually work, sort of. About ten years ago I made up a mirrored 4' dish with a boiler at the focal point and circulated hot motor oil to a modified heat generator on a camper fridge. The unit cooled well and made ice. I have in inventory a 4 ton gas absorption water chiller and a 10' dish and some aircraft aluminum skin set aside to try this on a building sized experiment. One of these days.

I dug around and came up with a pump, unglazed solar panel, a water tank and a small fan and coil water to air heat exchanger to put together to take some measurements of how much heat I can sink. I've always had this vision of freezing a ball of ice in the winter and cooling from it in summer and I keep thinking with a water source heat pump I can do this.

Probably put this together after I get my wind spinners back up and finish the refurb of my PV power systems.

Too many toys, too little time!

mike