View Single Post
Old 09-15-15, 04:40 PM   #8
oil pan 4
Land owner

Here are some thermographs I took while torcher testing my charger, charging batteries and running the inverter to power my refrigerator.
The bridge rectifier gets too hot for my liking.
It was showing 250'F while at or near 25 amps and at 11 amps it would only cool down to 214'F.

I am going to install double heat sinked rectifiers to keep them from burning up. Then install 24 volt fan to circulate air through the enclosure.
The 25 amp fuse was showing 330'F at 26 amp full load. It only cooled down to 225'F with 11 amps going through it.
I am going to get that gigantic NAPA fuse holder and 30 amp fuse, I hope they still sell them.

I think this flir is saving me from a lot of future arse pain.

The idea behind the battery charger isn't to power loads and charge the battery at the same time but I still want it to be up to the task.
I may use the generator to power my plasma cutter which takes every bit of power it has, so I may leave the battery charger plugged in which only uses up to about 2 amps of 240 vac power to at least charge the battery while the generator is running, I may also have to power some important load like a refrigerator that is starting to get too warm. The refrigerator would not like being plugged directly into the generator while the plasma cutter or welder is going.

At that point the generator, battery charger, solar, Morningstar and inverter will form some kind of primitive uninterruptable power supply.
Attached Images

Last edited by oil pan 4; 09-16-15 at 12:52 PM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-16-15), stevehull (09-16-15)