View Single Post
Old 04-22-10, 07:38 AM   #14
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I went back and edit / added a picture each to post #3 for the garage door header and post #11 for the walk-in door header.

Last night after sorting out my picture problem, I had about an hour and a half to work on my wall section. I was hoping to be able to say this morning that I completed my first wall section, but that wasn't to be. Previously, I had laid out my top and bottom plates and marked them for the king studs, trimmers and cripples. (I've got a how-to book that I learned what to call full height {king} studs and what to call header supporting {trimmer} studs and what to call the little studs {cripples} installed over headers.) I had already cut all my king studs and cripple studs to length and had built this doors header. So, I took my top plate and clamped it to the header so I could mark where the cripple studs should go to be aligned. Then I laid out some double stacked 2x6's to hold the wall section off the floor. (It makes it easy to get my framing nailer in position.) I laid out all of the wall studs and top and bottom plates and started by nailing the studs on either end. Then, I used two ratcheting straps connected together to pull the slight bow out of the top and bottom so the intermediate studs would stay in place so I could nail them in too. (You'll note that I was working solo last night, as most nights.) It took a while but I got all 5 king studs, the header and all four cripple studs in place and mostly nailed together. I have to turn it over to finish nailing it, and I just didn't have the energy to continue that late last night. Hopefully I'll have time to complete this wall section tonight. I have to finish nailing it together, square it up again and sheath it. That's just something else to learn how to do.

For anyone who might be curious, I am not a carpenter, nor have I ever worked as one. I am a retired Air Force fighter aircraft mechanic, reeducated into a bookkeeper and sit behind a desk all day. I have done a few small DIY projects and have a carpenter brother-in-law I can ask for advice and help. I try to limit the asking for help so he doesn't feel over used. And I read a lot of how-to stuff before I jump into the fray!
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote