View Single Post
Old 01-27-11, 06:31 PM   #19
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
There are four main sources of leaks that I know of:

1. The front door leaks badly--not only around the edges, but through the bottom. I have a metal threshold and a metal scraper. I'll get some of that rubber seal for where the door meets the frame, but what's the best way to seal up the bottom?

2. The door from the unheated laundry/entry room into the rest of the house has a half inch gap underneath. What do you recommend to close up that gap?

3. The front windows rattle in their frames. There's no good seal between the movable pane and the frame. (These windows open sideways.) I'll take a pane out this weekend and get some pictures to see if you guys can help. I'm also planning to build the clear plastic "double-pane" inserts, as the cold air is palpable when you pull back the curtain.

4. This is the most embarrassing one: We have a window A/C unit in one of the living room windows. It's simply too small for the window, so I had to make up the difference with coroplast and duct tape. I plan to pull it out and cut a hole in the wall to mount it permanently, restoring the use of the window.
1. A rubber threshold strip.
2. A rubber threshold strip.
3. I have the same issue in my living room. The right thing to do is to replace the windows. Instead, I have it sealed up tight with plastic window sealing film, from the same aisle of the store as #1.
4. This is also the cheapest one to fix, as the above will cost around $13. Remove the A/C unit every September, and install it every July. Store it in the basement until you get around to permanently installing it in the wall.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote