View Single Post
Old 01-27-11, 01:38 PM   #15
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I haven't figured out why motion sensors can't be used with CFLs. I can certainly understand photoeyes (they tend to flicker between "off" and "on"). At any rate, this light covers the entire yard, and for the motion sensor to pick up our coming up the steps, it first will pick up the live oak tree and pretty much stay on all the time.
Motion detectors don't work with CFLs? I've never tried, because the short on-off-on-off cycling isn't compatible with CFLs (or at least I think).

Trees shouldn't trigger the light, since it usually has an infrared sensor, so it only sees warm things like cats, dogs, and racoons, sometimes people and cars. Unless it's an ultrasound sensor...

Also it is possible to rewire the set up so that the light is far away from the sensor(s), for example a sensor at each end of a sidewalk with the light in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
4. This is the most embarrassing one: We have a window A/C unit in one of the living room windows. It's simply too small for the window, so I had to make up the difference with coroplast and duct tape. I plan to pull it out and cut a hole in the wall to mount it permanently, restoring the use of the window.
Can you flip it around and use it for heating in the winter? Just asking...

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-27-11 at 01:43 PM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote