View Single Post
Old 11-14-21, 06:13 PM   #6
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
My crazy idea is to feed the Diesel exhaust into the burner's air-input vent. Which is located at the bottom right side of the HS Tarm wood-coal firebox.
Why? Because I suspect the diesel exhaust contains 30% to 50% of the Real heat output of the heater. (Am I wrong?)

If the exhaust contained 8,000 to 13,000 BTUh, it would be able to provide warm water for washing & some space heating using the baseboards in the house. (Hot water heat in free-flow mode uses no circulating pumps).
What we need to avoid at all costs, is deep cold inside the house, that freezes and bursts the baseboard heating pipes.

The normal hot air output of the Diesel heater would be ducted up to the living room, using a (new) floor vent. (I have CO & smoke detectors galore).

My question, is using this heater a bad idea?
Plus, I wonder if it can burn #2 heating oil?
I see two problems.
1: the exhaust will foul up your burner and whatever else is in the inlet housing. if it's like the riello burners there's other things in there that won't be happy.
2: I don't think you'll have enough heat for a decent draft. CO detectors wait far too long to go off to avoid false alarms. they go off when you NEED TO LEAVE, not at the first sign of stupid.

#2 and diesel are very similar weights, I don't anticipate a problem for the burner.

why not try some kind of DIY co-gen setup? the smallest water cooled diesel/gas genny you can find, and put an HX in the water loop for you to steal heat from.

assuming you use the heat and power, you're now up to 60%+ efficiency, even if you use none of the exhaust heat.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote