View Single Post
Old 08-22-15, 06:44 PM   #4
TechShop
FNG

On to my build... I did a bunch of research and measuring and head scratching, then started collecting components. As you can see in the next photo, I constructed a frame that sits on top of the GSHP using some pre-punched steel angle and square tubing. On that frame is a pair of TurboTec 48 KBTU coaxial heat exchangers. These HX came with insulation wrapped on them, so I left that alone. I simply spaced them 4" apart with some foam and plumbed them in parallel with 1" (nominal) copper for the water connections. On the input side, I have soldered a pair of isolator flanges and installed a TACO 007 circulator pump. This pump should keep plenty of water flowing between the HX assembly and my hydronic system.

On to the refrigerant side of the system, The liquid line is 3/8 (OD) and the vapor line is 7/8 (OD) as per Carrier's installation manual for the heat pump system. The TXV is a Sporlan CBBIZE-4-GA which is what the Carrier fan-coil unit would have used. I opted for a Sporlan sight glass in the liquid line just before the TXV. Finally I placed a 1/4" Flare access port just after the TXV and on the vapor line just after the HX. The TXV bulb is not yet attached to the vapor line, however the balance port is brazed in place.

*edit: removed links and uploaded images*

Since I'm sure it looks like that heavy pump is just hanging off in space supported by only the copper, here's a close-up of how I supported the pump. The semi-rigid plastic will allow a small amount of vibration damping as well as thermal isolation. Everything will be wrapped in insulation when I'm done, plus I'll insulate the cabinet.

*edit: removed links and uploaded images*
Attached Images

Last edited by TechShop; 09-05-15 at 01:17 AM..
TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote