View Single Post
Old 07-27-15, 12:13 PM   #122
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default 5 Ton DIY GSHP Build

Summer has made it to Southwestern Ontario Canada. Outside temps reaching 34 Deg. C and humidity of 80%. Really nice for the beach or drinking beer under a tree.

Having some work in the shop not so nice!! Standing in-front of a warm machine with coolant quenching the metal while its being worked liberating steam raising the already high humidity. (80 %) anything above 24 Deg. C is quite uncomfortable.

But wait we have air-conditioning. And OH BOY that thing is working well.

Flip the diversion valve to change the field loop to now the air handler for the evaporator circuit and set the thermostat. The Variable Frequency Drive reduces the out-put or the evaporator lowers to a temp that the antifreeze cannot cope. ( could add a little more to get protection to -25 Deg C.)The machine purrs along at about half power sending chilled propylene glycol to the air handler (-5 to -10 Deg. C.) The humid air then passes through the air-handler having its load of water rung out. It just runs steady at quite a stream. Interestingly enough the shop air temp doesn't lower very quickly until the humidity is removed.

In the photo you will notice the frost on the 1" copper tubes Yes some insulation is needed there. I believe the system could over-power the air-handler heat-exchanger and totally block with ice if the compressor is powered up.

The system is in a very good balance. The shop can start out in the morning at 27 Deg. C. with a humidity of 80% after 2.5 hrs the shop is 19 Deg. C. at 48% humidity. WOW.

One day I had set the temp low to see what would happen. 34 Deg. C. outside and the shop 16 Deg. That's getting down right chilly. And only half throttle!!! In the photo you can see that the O/S air temp is 33.9 Deg. C. and inside is a comfortable 20 Deg. C.

Quite nice for the machinist to function for the day. I set it at 19 Deg. C. and its happy holding that all day cycling on and off.

You can DIY but its work and a few bucks.

Randen

P.S. I'm really interested to see what Memphis91 is going to have with his DX heat-pump

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 07-27-15 at 06:21 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (07-27-15), b420ady (11-18-16), tamkov (12-27-22)