View Single Post
Old 01-27-22, 11:13 AM   #2
YuriyLogvin
Lurking Renovator

Episode 1 - Introduction.

In this episode I do a quick introduction to the DIY Geothermal Heat Pump project.

Episode 2 - Building geothermal loop. Angled well drilling.

In this episode you'll see how we built a ground loop for my geothermal heat pump. Folks from Green Energy helped me to drill wells at an angle to horizon.

Episode 3 pt.1 - Heat pump design and assembly. Pt1.

In this episode you'll see how my heat pump works, we'll look at most basic, simplified heat pump design to understand core principles of it's operation.

Episode 3 pt.2 - Heat pump design and assembly. Pt2.

In this episode, you'll see how I assembled the heat pump.
The results of the first test run were a little disappointing. Flow meters were a bit off, but most importantly, the geothermal loop did not provide the expected 30 watts per running meter.

Episode 4 - Filling geothermal loop with alcohol.

Alcohol has a lot of different use cases, one of which, surprisingly, is being used as a filler for geothermal loop pipes. You'll hear my thoughts on why I decided to use ethanol and not ethylene glycol.

So, this is my progress up to date.
I still can't figure out why the geothermal loop did not provide the expected 30 watts per running meter. Maybe it's because we had 2 dry years in a row and there's not enough moisture in the soil. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.
jeff5may (01-31-22), Lawrence (02-28-22), Piwoslaw (01-28-22), tamkov (02-25-22), Zwerius (01-31-22)