Thread: Hawts and Vawts
View Single Post
Old 02-15-11, 05:54 PM   #27
Big Al
Big Al

Default Progress ??? Of a sort

Well, the plan for the several MW Vawt in a shoebox has hit a serious problem. I've now got 3 months of logged data and what it tells me is I have n't got enuff wind. About 1 m/s average. This I don't fully understand as from my windlogger in a straight line with no obstructions in the way are 3 or 4 large commercial Hawts. Were those guys crazy too ?? Only thing I can think of is that so far we have had a freakily cold winter with most wind from the North and NE which it is not where it is supposed to come from. Its supposed to come from the SW which would suit my little wind logger and the big commercial Hawts a lot better. So I shall continue logging ( raising my logger another few feet and possibly improving its siting slightly )-I ain't giving up yet.

Will try and get some photos posted of my site and maybe one of the knowlegeable guys can tell me why both me and presumably the guys who paid to put the monster ones on the hill are n't getting the wind we should.

Incidentally , driving around the area I have come across 2 Proven mills (I think from looking at them from about 40 yds ) . One in a valley on about a 15M tower which seemed to be defying the law of conservation of energy , spinning fast on what seemed to me a pretty windless evening.

I saw another one near Cumbernauld last week ( about 6 metres diameter on about a 11M tower) which seemed to be spinning a lot faster than it had any right to , although it was on a small hill and there was some wind.

Anyway rgds for now. Got a data logger to move and some photos to take.

Big Al

Last edited by Big Al; 02-15-11 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote