View Single Post
Old 07-24-18, 10:37 AM   #122
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks for the cost breakdown. Great price on the battery pack. Mine was $1800 US.

I know a number of people think it's silly to go offgrid when there is a perfectly good grid already attached to the house. Here is how I look at that. I have a small bicycle habit/hobby. Over the last ten years that hobby has cost me close to $10,000. It's served me well. It keeps me healthy. It has cut my fossil fuel consumption by better than 80% and it makes me happy.

My concern for energy efficiency and self production began way back in the 1970's when the first fuel "crisis" began. That hobby has been in my head for a lot longer than the bicycle venture. I've just been waiting for the right time/price. With the current low cost of solar panels and now the availability of reasonably priced energy storage it is time to change hobbies for a while. I figure if I spend $10000 on solar equipment that I can easily go offgrid. I have a much lower use electricity than most. Generally less than 10kwh per day with two people in the house. So five days autonomy shoud be reasonable with a 50kwh storage system and 5kw worth of panels. Anyway, I'm slowly re-starting the decades long hobby and maybe by next year I will have made some progress.
JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote