View Single Post
Old 07-31-19, 08:46 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default DIY solar power bank 5V 230Wh

I was talking with MetroMPG the other day about the solar powered alarm clock I made a few years ago. It has really worked great, and I am very happy with it. Whilst talking with him I got the itch to do another similar project with a small scale solar something-or-another.

I thought a 5V power bank for phone or other misc USB charging would be a nice, fun and easy project. I know you can buy those gimmick solar power banks with the tiny solar panels. But, I am thinking an actual functional setup that can charge my phone at 15W (3A) nearly every day of the year. I also want it to be able to charge my wife's phone daily as well. This means it'll have to have a not tiny solar panel, plus decent battery capacity.

I first started looking at our phone's battery capacity which is 3Ah @ 3.7V or 11.1 Wh. My aim was to get at least 8 charges out of this pack. So, it needs to have a capacity of at least around 90Wh. I started looking at battery solutions. Lithium 18650 or 26650 cells seemed like a good solution. However, finding reputable cells with realistic capacities at good prices was challenging. So, I looked at nimh. Since I had such good luck with the alarm clock, and knowing they don't even need a charge controller, this seemed like a good solution. I found a nice deal on D cells that would make a 135Wh pack for $25.

Then, I remembered years ago I had bought four A123 pouch cells. These were lifepo4 cells the manufacturer rejected that didn't achieve their rated 20Ah capacity. I never had a use for them, so they've just been sitting. When I bought them I capacity tested them and most are around 18Ah. So, I have four 3.2V 18Ah batteries good for right around 230Wh. Bingo.

So, I am going to look for a solar panel to charge these up. I think I'll run them all in parallel to keep charging easy (no balancing). However, I am going to need a charge controller as well as a dc-dc boost converter to take the 3.2V up to 5V for the USB output. I'm very open to suggestions on these parts.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 08-01-19 at 07:25 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote