Thread: new living roof
View Single Post
Old 08-18-15, 11:11 PM   #1
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default new living roof

I'm blessed with a wreck of a house that needs enough work to keep boredom away for several lifetimes. One project on the list is a roof over the entry door. Having experimented with a green roof on a woodshed and been pleased with the result we decided to make this entrance roof a living roof as well.

Up goes the framing:

Decked over with T&G fir:

Then 1/4" fir plywood:

And EDPM pond liner:

I wanted a drainage layer and had this plastic "rock guard" material so on it went. Rock guard is used to protect coatings on buried pipelines and I rescued some scraps from a bin a few years back intending to make use of it as an anti-fatigue mat in my workshop. I figure the roof is an equally noble cause.

Roxul 'comfortboard' is next. I'm curious how this will work out. It's a rock wool meant for external insulation (R6).

The final ingredient of our inorganic growing medium is rubber mulch shown here after planting up with Sedums.

This picture through a grimy window shows the layers of materials used. I'll be tieing in to this to continue the roof down the side of the house at a later date which is why the edge is unfinished.

I've still got posts to make up (the ones in use are temporary) and some detailing but I'm glad to have gotten this far. Crossing my fingers the Sedums take.

Greg

sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunspot For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-19-15)