View Single Post
Old 09-05-16, 10:35 AM   #626
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Heating oil is about the price as diesel fuel. Since it's basically the same thing..
Over in Lexington, a lot of the rich folks have massive oil tanks buried in their yards.
(Their homes over over-sized by 5 to 8x typically).
I've heard tales, those oil tanks are the reason that so many Lexingtonites drive diesel cars..
Click on Diesel, to see the area price.. Boston Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Massachusetts
It's about the same as Number #2 Heating oil..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_oil
Having worked around the Telco industry , we have had dealings with standby generators and their fuel storage .

In my mind , a down side to large diesel / fuel oil storage is the potential problems associated with long term fuel storage .

If it is available , I would think propane / butane would be about the best choice , in term of long term storage . Little or no problem with fuel contamination due to the sealed nature of a propane / butane system .

My late father in law used propane / butane for space heating . With 2 large tanks , he could purchase fuel in the summer when prices were at their lowest . That would last through most / all of the winter . If he had to buy more in the winter , at higher prices , it would be a lesser quantity .

I have a cousin that does much the same .

I was raised on a farm until the middle of the 5th grade . Dad had a large propane / butane tank to serve the house . His John Deer 720 tractor ran on propane / butane , also . He told me propane / butane cost $ .06 - $ .08 a gallon , at that time .

Many farmers had conversions on their pickups . They were suppose to pay road tax on the propane / butane they burned in their trucks . You can draw your own conclusions .

We only had the car . It was gasoline only .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote