View Single Post
Old 02-23-09, 11:37 AM   #5
Bob McGovern
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Is there even a point to doing it if you live in a residential area with a 50x110 foot yard? Or am I just going to irritate the hell out of the neighbors with the noise? Cause I'm guessing the amount of energy it's going to produce isn't going to be very much.
Looking at your wind resource, it might make sense. Fall and winter are pretty decent, especially near the lakes. Depends on ground clutter.

As for neighbors.... Phew. That's always the tough bit. Stuff is easy; people are complicated. If all your neighbors experience are the impacts (visual, noise, disruption) but not any benefits, they are gonna oppose it. Best strategy is to pull in as many people as possible. Make the wind turbine in some way theirs, as well. Could be a larger machine set off to one side, with everyone investing some money and benefitting by share. But more important is to get people emotionally invested. Come round with drawings, noise data, photos. Carry a tall stick around the yard with them and say "Here? What if we moved it over here so it doesn't block your window?"

On install day, you can ask them over, buy some cases of good beer and rope in some local musicians to play for tips and booze while the tower goes up (Winnepeg music is kewl!) A proper old time barn-raising. Wind power is unavoidably obvious. If people can look at a turbine and say "Some small part of that is me," they will come on board and stay on board.

Short answer: if you have the wind, the space, and the goodwill to put up a 70ft tower, go for it. If not, better not.

PS: It's not geeky if it involves backhoes and concrete.
Bob McGovern is offline   Reply With Quote