View Single Post
Old 11-06-15, 11:32 AM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
due to advances in modern technology, one can now purchase pre-hacked window shakers that run off 120 volts. The manufacturers have figured out that some people would actually be willing to pay for a small, micro-sized package heat pump unit. Perfect solution for the average eco-conscious apartment dwellers and cheap enough for those who are not ready for a minisplit.

frigidaire ffrh0822r1 8,000-btu 115v compact slide-out chasis air conditioner/heat pump with remote control - walmart.com

my guess is that these units work like smaller versions of the ge zoneline units. They will not automatically change over from heating to cooling mode, they must be manually switched. The heat pump function works down to around freezing outdoor temperature, then they fall back to an internal electric strip heating element. Above about 0 degc, they put out 2-3 times the btu's versus below freeezing. Not quite as efficient or functional as a full-fledged minisplit unit, but what do you expect for under $500?
you have posted a dead_link