View Single Post
Old 12-23-11, 03:31 PM   #68
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

SO a year ago I went to apply for a building permit for a solar hotwater setup. It would have been approved except all components including the collectors need CSA or equivalent approval. This is part of the federal building code which my province has adopted which my city has adopted.

Trying to get this changed has gone nowhere in a year of working at it. Lip service from some, well that's life from others.

Before going flat out guerrilla I figured what the hell I can build a collector that meets the requirements what's involved in getting it certified? Today I got back my answer. Some paperwork, a test panel sent to be tested and $10,000 - $20,000 is all I need.

So I'm just going to verify that copper pipe connected via silver solder in a box insulated with polyiso, glazed with twin wall and some fancy flashing work making sure it's got some good sturdy attachment legs so it won't fly away really costs $10,000-$20,000 to verify that it's safe. Assuming it really does cost that much my quest for certification dies unless I find a way to get that cost covered.

ANyways I had never been able to find info on what something like this actually costs. I had hoped it was $1000-$5000 based on the tests it needs to pass but I was grossly mistaken. I just thought I'd share in case anyone else was thinking of taking this route.

Now I know why I work in software.

This also explains why a guy in newfoundland can build hot air collectors out of beercans in insulated boxes with a piece of acrylic or some other plastic glazing and charge $2500 a piece for them. He needs to to get his certification costs back.

Jamie
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote