Thread: Ben's Garage
View Single Post
Old 02-27-17, 09:03 PM   #95
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Good video.

My power company would not let me use a disconnect switch like yours. It had to be a handle that does a physical disconnect no breakers were allowed in that switch.
Good point EV and solar really helps the payback time. You really can't get much cleaner driving.
We had natural gas heat I installed mini splits so we don't run the natural gas heat anymore that also helps with payback.
I used iron ridge planner even when I did now use their racking the first time. The second panels I bought I used iron ridge racking I really liked it better. It is nice racking. The software planner is great it helped me a lot.

When people ask me about ROI it is not a simple answer as you are in the same boat.
If you only use the electricity offset as the system payoff is pretty easy. I am at just about 5 years. If you add in the gasoline that I don’t have to buy because my EV car. Then add in natural gas I don’t use I will have my payoff just over 2 years.
The mini splits had to be paid for so do you add that cost in with the solar cost. I am at 4 years payback. This is only because the DIY installs.
Any way you look at it makes since all the way around. The environment is happier I am so much more self-efficient I have always loved solar power and I am so happy the cost and incentives have made it makes since to install it cost wise.
I talk to people that want to put a 10K system in but they say I will wait until the prices come down more.
When that happens the incentives will be phased out you could end up paying more for the system.

You will not start saving and paying the system off. I think right now the cost of waiting is more expensive. This still has to work for you and your family. If you have already decided you want to jump just think about it…

Sorry for the long post but it is exciting seeing others get solar and combining it with a EV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-28-17 at 08:42 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
bennelson (02-27-17)