View Single Post
Old 03-29-15, 10:11 AM   #6
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I am not a pro , but I have been told the refrigeration oil flows along with the refrigerant and MUST return to the condenser .

Therefore , plan your line set run so the oil can flow back to the condenser unit . I have seen installations that had the condenser on the roof , serving a fan coil in the space below . In extreme cases , the installer constructed some thing that looked like a " P-Trap " in the copper tubing .

The explanation was , the trap would fill with oil & when it was gull , the suction would suck the oil up to the condenser .

These were cool only , so the " P-Trap " was only in the suction / larger copper tubing . Since many / most mini splits are A/C - HP units , I do not know if you would need to trap both lines ?

Since most / all of the mini split line sets are soft / flexible tubing , if you needed a trap , I think you might could make a vertical loop where the line set entered the attic ? Provided you gave adequate vertical space in the attic .

From the look , try to slope the line set downward across the attic and down / out the other wall , to the mini split condenser .

If the rise to the attic is minimal , all this may not be necessary ?

Hopefully a pro will comment on the point I have raised .

And , bend the copper tube slowly / carefully and in as a large a turning radius as feasible . DO NOT KINK the copper tubing ! :-(

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote