View Single Post
Old 07-12-11, 02:23 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Finding LED Light for Ikea Lamp

I have picked up some nice Ikea lamps at the thrift store, but they often use an unusual bulb base incandescent (which seems to have a short life), or tiny CFL bulb which isn't bright enough for my purposes.

It turns out that the name for the unusual base is 'intermediate screw' also known as 'E17'.

I found nice LED bulbs that would physically fit the lamp (but not the lamp socket) at most any big-box home improvement store.

The most common LED bulb configuration that suits my use is called 'MR16', which is shaped like the small reflector-type bulbs used in commercial lighting. The specification for the base is 'GU10' which is a 120V base. So the call-out is a 'MR16 LED bulb with a GU10 base'.

Next problem is a way to bridge from the odd E17 socket to a GU10 bulb...

It turns out that you can't get there from here... at least without making a couple of stops in China.

So there is a Chinese adapter which will go from the E17 to E14 (AKA: European candelabra).

It also turns out that there is a Chinese adapter that goes from E14 to GU10 (AKA: Twist Lock).

So,
  • First the lamp,
  • Then the E17 to E14 adapter
  • Then the E14 to GU10 adapter
  • Then the MR16 LED bulb with a GU10 base

Voila! Lamp happiness... and I found the places that had the lowest prices ,too.

(picture goes here when all the stuff arrives)

Regards,

-AC_Hacker

Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-12-11 at 04:40 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote