View Single Post
Old 07-05-16, 03:15 PM   #16
Spiv
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Since you have much higher cooling demands than heating, a ground or air source heating/cooling system should be sized for your cooling demands.
Yes, in Western Australia we have higher cooling demands, but as I mentioned, close to the coast where I am building, we most times just open the windows and let the sea breeze in.

Quote:
With limestone, you can't just grab a dozer or backhoe and dig a trench; dynamite, drills, jackhammers, etc. are necessary and push up both the material and labor tremendously. A few boreholes might be cheaper than a slinky field of equal capacity.
The area has been graded with big dozers by the developer, all hard capstone has gone and the underground limestone is normally managed by a backhoe or a small excavator. I'd expect half a day's work is all I'd need and I have contractors ready to do it.

Quote:
As for heating water, your space heating method would dictate how to approach the solution. Using a phase change heating/cooling system, a desuperheater would provide hot water whenever the outdoor unit operated. This approach ties in with a dedicated heat pump water heater or solar pv panels.
Could not find much about desuperheaters.....
We do not use PV for heating water, just solar heat collectors.
PV is also used to generate electricity, the government used to provide incentives and rebates, but lately cut them. The power companies at first used to buy power back at the same price, but now they give you 1/3 of what they charge you, so PV is going out of fashion. However, we might get a new government (ASA we find out who is the winner...), so we might get back into the subsidies.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote