View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 08:49 PM   #5
DEnd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobillpatrick View Post
I just sold my 1st install that I lived in for 15 years. When it was 0*F outside, the floors were 76*F = about 12 BTU/H/FT^2 with room temperature of 70*F, had to wear house slippers.

Your diagram is a 2 surface solution.

How durable is your 3/8" cement board across the top of the foam gap?

I like the granite, but I'm unsure.

I would like to find a 1 piece solution.
That's my point exactly, if the floor is cool enough to need to wear slippers then you aren't getting the main benefit of warm floors. The other benefits are had at less expensive price points, allowing you to spend that money elsewhere. That said it's your house, so spend your money where you want to spend it.

The cement board should be very durable in that installation. What would cause wear (aside from scratches), is movement of the board. In that installation the board is fully supported by the foam, so there shouldn't be any movement allowed. The major possible cause of failure would likely be foam shrinkage, but using the correct foam (highish psf, low shrinkage) would likely mitigate that problem. Like I said contact the architect first though.

I don't think I'd use PVC in that context. The issue is that you have different expansion rates that will be bridged by tile. I worry that the tile would crack . There are doors that have a tile seal on the bottom of the inside part of the threshold. If you took the PVC to that point that would alleviate that problem. Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  19.9 KB
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEnd For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (03-21-17)