View Single Post
Old 03-01-15, 07:36 PM   #18
buffalobillpatrick
Master EcoRenovator

Ron342, I know that a guy in Ireland did something close to that, he talked about it working for him on 1 of my threads, I don't recall his name.

I looked & found it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaslam View Post
I had a fairly similar situation in Ireland. The ground is layered limestone rock and not practical for a ground loop. After some experimentation I have ended up with an overground heat store that contains about 180,000 litres of clay and rock and is insulated with straw bales. The soil and rock came from the house and avenue excavation as well as two ponds. The store is heated directly with 8 sq metres of solar panels. The temperature is estimated to reach 50C by the end of the summer. The house is mostly heated using a nominal 3 kW GSHP that produces 4.5 kW when water input temperature is 15C. There is also a gasifying stove and separate solar panels for DHW but the heat pump can heat the house on its own if it runs for about eight hours on off peak electricity. There are buffer tanks to mix the water input to the heatpump and to store the output from the stove and heatpump.

The important part is to keep the heat requirement low but DHW will always be needed. In Ireland sun is unpredictable at all times of the year so having an interseasonal store works well. This summer will be the first full heating season, the panels weren't in place until the end of July in 2013 so the temperature only reached 25C.
buffalobillpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buffalobillpatrick For This Useful Post:
Ron342 (03-03-15)