View Single Post
Old 02-03-15, 09:01 PM   #12
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
I have been thinking about running the water from the well through a heat exchanger in the shop. When the pump is running it would kick on a fan to move air across it and cool the shop. Just supplemental cooling for it. Any bit of cooling helps here. It's 20x40x10 insulated metal building with 2 tons of ac which is not enough in the summer here.
Something like that certainly will work.

However, you need to know that when you reduce the temperature of the air, it becomes more humid. Your water will certainly be doing a lot of the cooling work for you, but you'll need some de-humidification to be comfortable.

Ask EcoRenovator randen, he lives in Canada but his summers get plenty hot and mighty humid. He did some kind of direct water cooling, and it lowered the temperature, but raised the discomfort level.

Your A/C will do some de-humidification.

Painting the roof of your shop white could certainly knock the temperature down.

Growing Kudzu on the roof would help, too... although your neighbors might tar & feather you for it. If you invited them into your shop for cold beer & B-B-Q could help ameliorate the Kudzu fury.

If you have an abundance of cheap water, misting water periodically on the roof will also help.

But if you want to get serious, and if your water flow is sufficient you could buy or build a ground source heat pump and use the well water for heating & cooling. It'll be more efficiency than your air conditioner. But you'll still need in excess of 2 Tons, as things now stand.

Is there still a drought in Texas, or did the Gov execute the drought?

Best,

-AC